Bathukamma is a Telugu film with Telangana backdrop. To give you a heads-up – Its more of cultural theme with a story of Girl (named Bhatukamma), few beautiful songs, a dose of politics but certainly well made. Most of the people who watched it gave a positive feedback. So guys, Give it a chance and let your friends know about it.
Produced on the Kakatiya Films banner, the film tries to make a realistic portrayal of events over a span of six decades in the backward region. This includes scenes of poor villagers not being allowed to till lands that were anyway kept fallow and instead, being given away to SEZs and of the havoc that ‘belt’ shops wreak on the daily lives of the poor.
Situations depicted in the film include small girls being sold because their parents cannot raise them and of poor villagers being arrested and shot by policemen on the suspicion that they are helping naxals.
All about land
The story, screenplay and music too is by T. Prabahakar Rao. The story is set in the backdrop of a typical Telangana village where lands are fallow with a leader in power selling them to an MNC in the name of an SEZ.
On ‘Bathukamma’ festival day, villagers find a baby girl abandoned near a lake. They name her ‘Bathukamma’ and the little one is raised in the village.
Bhoomayya, an old farmer, who loses his family in the Telangana Armed Struggle takes up the responsibility of bringing her up.
Sindhu Tolani plays a deglamourised role as ‘Bathukamma’ and hero Vijay Bhaskar plays a silent supporter in love with her.
The hero’s strong feelings make him revolt against his own father, who plays a villainous Home Minister in the film. Highlights include a sensitive portrayal by Venkanna as Bhoomayya, whose heart stops when the Home Minister tells him that he has to give up his land.
The lyrics and dialogues by Andesri and Goreti Venkanna steal the show.
‘Bathukamma’ has none of the commercial elements of a present-day movie but as Mr. Prabhakar Rao says, “This is not a film but life, the sentiment of my people.”
- Banner: kakatiya Films
- Starring: Sindhu Tolani and others
- Producer: M Chandrashekhar Rao and P. Ramamohan Rao
- Director: T Prabhakar
- Story: T Prabhakar
- Screenplay: T Prabhakar
- Dialogues: Dr. Andhe Sri
- Music Director: T Prabhakar
- Cinematographer: Vijay
- Singers: SP. Balasubramaniam, Gayatri, Srikanth, Pramod Kumar, Chaitanya, Rama Devi, Bandaru Sujatha Sekhar, Thelu Vijaya
- Lyrics: Gorati Venkanna, Nagapuri Rajamouli
- Audio: Madhura Entertainments
- Release date: 1st May 2008
- Bathukamma: Artist(s): SP. Balasubramaniam Lyricist: Gorati Venkanna
- Sinukamma: Artist(s): Gayatri Lyricist': Andhe Sri
- Maisamma: Artist(s): Srikanth Lyricist: Chaitanya
- Thatikallu: Artist(s): Pramod Kumar Lyricist: Nagapuri Rajamouli
- Randi Kadalirandi: Artist(s): Lenina Lyricist: Andhe Sri
- Bathukamma Bathukamma Uyyalo: Artist(s): Ramadevi
- Chithoo Bothula Bomma: Artist(s): Chaitanya
- Himavanthunintlo butti: Artist(s): Ramadevi
- Kalavari Kodalu Uyyalo: Artist(s): Bandaru Sujatha Sekhar
- Ooriki Utharana valalo: Artist(s): Thelu Vijaya
- Sri Lakshmi Nee Mahimalu Gouramma: Artist(s): Gayatri